After three years’ delay in holding elections to local bodies in Tamil Nadu, the Election Commission of the state has announced the polls will be held in two phases, on December 27 and 30.
Citing administrative reasons, state Election Commissioner R Palaniswamy said elections would be held for only the rural bodies, while the notification for the urban body polls will be released later. Indirect elections for the post of mayors and the municipal chairmen will be held on January 11.
The elections will be a test for both the AIADMK and DMK since this is the first time that the strength of the parties will be tested at the grassroots after the death of AIADMK supremo J Jayalalithaa and DMK leader M Karunanidhi in 2016 and 2018, respectively.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.