Two BMC engineers, arrested in connection with last month's foot-over bridge (FOB) collapse here, have moved separate bail pleas before a Mumbai sessions court, claiming the case against them is "false and concocted".
The duo was arrested days after the 40-year-old bridge, connecting the area near the Times of India building with the CSMT railway station in south Mumbai, collapsed on March 14, killing seven people.
The allegation against them is "false and concocted" and there is nothing on record to involve them in the crime directly or indirectly, they said.
The accused claimed that even admitting that they had not done their job properly, in the worst case scenario it can merely be dereliction of duty and not the IPC sections applied in the case.
They have been booked for culpable homicide not amounting to murder and other relevant provisions of the IPC.
Culpable homicide not amounting to murder invites maximum punishment of life imprisonment.
In its reply filed before the court Tuesday, the police said the accused were not present on the spot during the structural audit of the bridge even for a single day.
It is mandatory to carry out the inspection of such bridges before and after the monsoon, but the accused never did so, the police said.
Desai, who worked with a private firm, had allegedly given clearance for continued use of the ill-fated bridge after a structural audit.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)