You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Eastern Sporting Union to meet Rising Student Club in IWL final

Press Trust of India  |  Shillong 

defeated SETHU FC 2-0 in extra time to enter the final of the second edition of at the here today.

The Imphal side now take on Rising in the final on April 14.

A drab and slow first half saw both teams testing each other out and chances came few for either.

In a tactical battle in the midfield, neither team was able to get a clear goal scoring opportunity.

The only highlight of the first half was in the 25th minute when found the back of the net through a over the but the referee called the play offside.

Changing over, ESU maintained pressure on the SETHU FC defence line, constantly bombarding them with attacks.

In the 68th minute, Prameshwori Devi's shot from distance hit the SETHU FC defence line and prompted her to appeal for a inside the box, but the referee thought otherwise.

Playing compactly, SETHU FC relied on counter-attacks and their defence line cleared dangerous long balls attempted by ESU.

In the 76th minute, Prameshwori Devi found Roja Devi in the box, but the latter's shot lacked venom and was easily mopped up by the

In the 85th minute, Roja Devi missed a sitter when she failed to tap-in from close range after Prameshwori Devi's low cross found her inside the box.

Two minutes later at the other end, Indumathi failed to make the most out of her opportunity after she ran clear of the ESU defence line, but shot wide of goal.

The full-time scoreline read 0-0 as the match progressed to extra time.

In the 99th minute the deadlock was finally broken when Prameshwori Devi stepped up and did her side justice, smashing the ball into the back of the net to give ESU a solitary goal lead.

In the 105th minute, scored directly from a free-kick to double ESU's lead.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Thu, April 12 2018. 23:15 IST