State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) has secured a licence from the US Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), allowing it to resume full operations in Venezuela after years of limiting activity because of sanctions-related risks, a senior company official said. The US approval removes a key hurdle for ONGC's Venezuelan investments and could pave the way for the state-run explorer to expand production, sign new agreements and take over operatorship of some projects from Venezuela's state oil company PDVSA, Anupam Agarwal, director-finance at ONGC, said at an investor call post first quarter earnings announcement. "Now we have full freedom to work on the Venezuela project because earlier we were restricting our operations there because of the sanction-related risks. Those risks are behind us," Agarwal said. ONGC Videsh Ltd, the company's overseas investment arm, holds a 40 per cent interest in the San Cristobal oil project, while the remaining is with Venezuela's .
Combined capital expenditure by 12 oil and gas PSUs fell 3.8 per cent to Rs 27,161 crore in Q1FY27, led by sharp declines at ONGC and Indian Oil, though experts see the dip as temporary
ONGC said its collaboration with Shell will focus on two key areas: upstream oil and gas, and LNG
Oil India Ltd chairman and managing director Ranjit Rath is among more than half a dozen candidates who have applied for the top job at state-run Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC), people familiar with the matter said. Rath, 54, is seeking the ONGC chairman and managing director's post for a second consecutive year after the government relaxed eligibility criteria, including the maximum age for the position. The Oil India chief was among the candidates shortlisted for the ONGC post last year, but the government chose to extend the tenure of incumbent Arun Kumar Singh by a year. Rath has headed Oil India, India's second-largest state-run oil and gas explorer, since August 2022. Others who have applied include ONGC Videsh Ltd managing director Rajarshi Gupta, who became eligible after the government raised the maximum entry age to 59 years. Gupta, 59, who is due to superannuate in July 2027, is the senior-most among all the internal candidates applying for the position. ONGC's direct
Higher crude realisations lifted ONGC's Q1 earnings above estimates, but sustained oil and gas production growth remains the key catalyst for any meaningful stock rerating
Stocks to watch today: Power Grid, Aurobindo Pharma, PB Fintech, Biocon and Cummins among top companies slated to post Q1 results today.
State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) on Tuesday reported more than doubling of profit in the June quarter, helped by higher crude oil prices and increased realisations. Net profit of Rs 17,033.81 crore in April-June -- the first quarter of the 2026-27 fiscal year -- compared with Rs 8,024.23 crore earning in the same period a year back, according to a stock exchange filing of the company. The net profit compared with Rs 6,649.97 crore in the preceding January-March quarter. Total income rose to Rs 48,321.65 crore in Q1 from Rs 33,213.39 crore a year back. Profit before tax rose to a record quarterly high of Rs 22,848 crore. Higher crude oil prices boosted ONGC's earnings, with net crude oil realisation from nominated fields rising to USD 99.45 a barrel from USD 66.13 a year earlier. New well gas also contributed to earnings, accounting for about 38 per cent of revenue from the company's nomination gas portfolio. Revenue from new well gas stood at Rs 3,998 crore dur
Q1FY27 company results: Firms including Deepak Nitrite, Godrej Properties, NHPC, Kalyan Jewellers, Zydus Wellness, and Metro Brands are also to release their April-June earnings today
Stocks to watch today: L&T, Asian Paints, Tata Capital, TMPV, ONGC, Netweb Technologies, Adani Enterprises, Adani Ports, Radico Khaitan, Pine Labs, among others, will be in focus today.
Stocks to watch today: BEL, IDFC First Bank, BoB, Coal India, AU Small Finance Bank, SAIL, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Power, Allied Blenders, Jindal Steel, NTPC, ONGC and more will be focus today.
Shrikant Chouhan, head of equity research at Kotak Securities, explains why the brokerage has assigned Buy ratings to ONGC and Tech Mahindra
Thus far in the calendar year 2026, the stock price of HPCL, BPCL and IOC plunged between 17 per cent and 22 per cent, as against a 8.9 per cent decline in BSE Sensex.
Q1 earnings preview: ICICI Securities said that OMCs could report significant losses, driven by higher retail fuel losses, inventory losses and a sharp rise in LPG under-recovery.
The government has relaxed the eligibility conditions for appointing the next chairman of state-owned ONGC by raising the maximum entry age to 59 years and offering the successful candidate a fixed three-year term extendable by up to two years, widening the pool of eligible contenders to head India's largest oil and gas producer. The Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB), the government's headhunter for appointments to state-run firms, has invited applications for the post, which will fall vacant on December 7 when incumbent Arun Kumar Singh completes his extended tenure. Under the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) advertisement, candidates should not have attained the age of 59 years on the date of occurrence of the vacancy -- December 7, 2026. The selected candidate will initially be appointed for three years, with the tenure extendable by another two years after a performance review. "Any employment or extension of tenure beyond the age of 60 shall be on a contract basis
The oil ministry is considering increasing the weightage of exploration activities in the performance assessment of upstream oil PSUs to boost domestic hydrocarbon discoveries
The facility would expand India's existing strategic storage capacity of 5.33 MMT by roughly one-third amid geopolitical conflicts and oil supply disruptions
Oil market companies (OMCs) gain, while upstream oil companies fall after brent crude oil prices fell
The average trading volumes at the Oil India counter jumped over five-fold, with a combined 13.46 million equity shares changing hands on the NSE and BSE in Wednesday's intra-day trade.
State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) has yet to take operational control of the Cambay basin block CB-OS-02 in Gujarat after Vedanta challenged the government's decision not to extend the block's contract term. The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, through a September 19, 2025, directive, rejected an extension of the contract for the block, in which ONGC holds a 50 per cent participating interest, Vedanta holds 40 per cent, and Invenire Petrodyne Limited holds 10 per cent. Following the government's decision, ONGC said it was instructed to immediately take over operations of the block and deployed an operational team to Suvali in Gujarat from September 20, 2025. However, the company said Vedanta has not yet handed over operations. "Pursuant to the Government of India directive, ONGC requested Vedanta for the immediate handover and deployed its operational team at Suvali, Gujarat, from September 20, 2025. However, Vedanta has not yet handed over the operations," ON
New well gas constituted 17 per cent of production and 21 per cent of revenue in FY26 from ONGC nomination gas portfolio