To save Vodafone Idea, the government’s challenge was to determine how much fiscal risk it was willing to absorb. This was why the telecom package was delayed by a week; the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) and the Ministry of Finance (MoF) argued over this point. The decision went down to the wire pretty late on Tuesday night before the Cabinet met on Wednesday morning to approve the package of nine reforms for the sector, five procedural changes plus four relief measures.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Fri, September 17 2021. 06:03 IST