Sport in 2017 was a playground of absurdities. Freakishly good athletes pulled off feats the commonsensical mind dismissed as impossible, football clubs purchased relatively middling players for preposterous amounts that could once buy entire teams, Sergio Garcia finally won a major, Usain Bolt lost a 100m final and some brainless motorcycle guide forced competitors in the wrong direction at the Venice Marathon. (How the Italian city ended up hosting a marathon is matter for a different debate; ideally Venice shouldn’t have agreed to host anything more than a long-distance swimming competition.)
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Sat, December 30 2017. 00:12 IST