- Why Citigroup and other foreign banks missed the India growth story
- Delhi HC directs strict compliance of Centre's oxygen allocation order
- Assam: 300 flyers flee Silchar airport, skip mandatory coronavirus test
- Covid: No restrictions on inter-state movement of medical oxygen, says MHA
- Covid: Vaccine registration for all adults to start April 28, says govt
- Jaguar Land Rover output at two UK plants hit by chips shortage
- Infosys and bp collaborate to reduce emissions at campuses, cities
- SC refuses to stay Telangana HC order on RBI's fraud classification
- Covid: Some Delhi hospitals have run out of oxygen completely, says Sisodia
Covid LIVE: Stricter curbs in Maharashtra, offices to work with 15% staff
Coronavirus live updates: India has added 1,628,641 Covid cases in the last 7 days. CM Uddhav Thackeray is likely to take a call on lockdown in Maharashtra today. Stay tuned for corona-related news
Congress MP Shashi Tharoor at Parliament House during the ongoing Budget Session, in New Delhi. Photo: PTI
Coronavirus live updates: India reported its biggest-ever spike of nearly 300,000 fresh coronavirus (Covid-19) cases on Wednesday, according to MoHFW. With this, India's Covid tally has scaled to 15,616,130 cases. India also registered the highest-ever single-day spike in Covid-related deaths with 2,023 fatalities. The death toll from the deadly infection stands at 182,570. The country now has over 2.1 million active cases.
The rise in case numbers has been exponential in the second wave. Badly-affected cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Lucknow, Bhopal, Kolkata, Allahabad and Surat have almost run out of hospital beds. The situation is much more dire when it comes to ICU beds. Several cities have just a few dozen ICU beds left and they are now frantically trying to build extra capacity in hotels and stadiums. Multiple government hospitals in Delhi on Tuesday said their oxygen stock would last only for only few hours and “people will die” if they do not get oxygen. A list shared by the government showed that in some hospitals, oxygen will last only for four to five hours. With 277 new deaths in last 24 hours, Delhi's death toll from Covid-19 now stands at 12,638. The national capital recorded 28,395 new Covid-19 cases in highest single-day spike.
Meanwhile, according to media reports, Uddhav Thackeray is likely to take a call on lockdown in Maharashtra and would announce his decision on Wednesday. THe state recorded 62,097 new cases and 519 deaths in the last 24 hours.
The five most affected states by total cases are Maharashtra (3,960,359), Kerala (1,197,301), Karnataka (1,109,650), Tamil Nadu (962,935), and Andhra Pradesh (942,135).
World coronavirus update: Coronavirus cases rise unabated across the globe with 143,518,120 infected by the deadly contagion. While 122,126,726 have recovered, 3,056,396 have died so far. The US remains the worst-hit country with 32,533,924, followed by India, Brazil, France and Russia. However, in the past seven days, India has added the highest number of fresh cases at 1,628,641, followed by the US (1,628,641) and Brazil (456,304).