- Top events of the day: First session of new Lok Sabha, IMA protest & more
- Top 10 biz headlines: E-vehicle road map, US-China trade war, and more
- Doctors agree to talks with Mamata Banerjee; IMA nation-wide strike today
- Delhi and Puducherry lock horns with Centre over IGST distribution
- Doctors refuse to relent on nationwide strike Monday, say can meet Mamata
- Union Cabinet to take up Motor Vehicles Bill without major changes
- Rainfall deficiency hits 43%; monsoon progress likely in 2-3 days: IMD
- WB doctor's strike: Venue for talks undecided even as stir enters sixth day
- Around 130 Delhi colonies unlikely to get piped water supply anytime soon
- Institute for budding politicians to start third academic year in Mumbai
Cyclone Vayu LIVE: Gujarat on high alert, Indian Railways cancels 77 trains
Gujarat government has evacuated over 300,000 people from low-lying areas of Gujarat. Catch Cyclone Vayu LIVE updates
Satellite imagery showing cloud band on the West Coast due to Cyclone Vayu. Image source: Skymet
Even though Cyclone Vayu has changed it's course and is unlikely to make landfall in the state, the severity of the storm remains a threat for Gujarat's coastal areas, an IMD official said.
"The threat of surge in wind, dust storm and rainfall stays very much. The centre of the storm -- known as the eye -- has slightly moved away from the Gujarat coast, but its diameter is well over 900 km," the official said.
Earlier, the cyclone was moving straight towards the Gujarat coast, but is has now slightly moved away, the the India Meteorological Department (IMD) official said.
"But going by its extension, there is no relief from the high alert sounded for the Gujarat coast. The cyclonic storm is going to hit Porbandar in Gujarat and other parts till Kutch area," he said.
The IMD will issue further updates about the cyclone by afternoon, the official added.
Gujarat government has evacuated over 300,000 people from low-lying areas of Gujarat and 10,000 from Diu to safer places.
The Indian Railways has cancelled 77 trains and short terminated 33 others due to Cyclone Vayu.
The cancellations were made as a precaution.
Catch LIVE updates on Cyclone Vayu