- Govt unlikely to revoke PUBG ban despite Tencent licence withdrawal: Report
- KVIC appoints Fashion Design Council Chairman Sunil Sethi as advisor
- S P Balasubrahmanyam: A youthful voice that transcended language barriers
- EC issues counting day guidelines to ensure distancing norms amid Covid-19
- India rejects China push for disengagement from south of Pangong: Report
- India holds webinar with Cambodian Army to boost defence cooperation
- Andhra farmers demand free power scheme, not direct benefit transfers
- PM Modi speaks to Japanese counterpart; agree to strengthen bilateral ties
- Farmers' income now lowest in 14 years, says Congress leader Manpreet Badal
- India should aim to be among top 25 in global innovation rankings: Dhotre
Cyclone Vayu LIVE: Gujarat on high alert, Indian Railways cancels 77 trains
Gujarat government has evacuated over 300,000 people from low-lying areas of Gujarat. Catch Cyclone Vayu LIVE updates
Even though Cyclone Vayu has changed it's course and is unlikely to make landfall in the state, the severity of the storm remains a threat for Gujarat's coastal areas, an IMD official said.
"The threat of surge in wind, dust storm and rainfall stays very much. The centre of the storm -- known as the eye -- has slightly moved away from the Gujarat coast, but its diameter is well over 900 km," the official said.
Earlier, the cyclone was moving straight towards the Gujarat coast, but is has now slightly moved away, the the India Meteorological Department (IMD) official said.
"But going by its extension, there is no relief from the high alert sounded for the Gujarat coast. The cyclonic storm is going to hit Porbandar in Gujarat and other parts till Kutch area," he said.
The IMD will issue further updates about the cyclone by afternoon, the official added.
Gujarat government has evacuated over 300,000 people from low-lying areas of Gujarat and 10,000 from Diu to safer places.
The Indian Railways has cancelled 77 trains and short terminated 33 others due to Cyclone Vayu.
The cancellations were made as a precaution.
Catch LIVE updates on Cyclone Vayu