- Ponty Chadha's son arrested from Delhi airport for Wave Group fraud case
- Cyclone Vayu LIVE: Gujarat on high alert, Indian Railways cancels 77 trains
- Top news today: Cyclone Vayu in Gujarat, Bankers-FM pre-Budget meet & more
- Top 10 biz headlines: DHFL reins to change hands, PwC ditches ADAG & more
- 'Modi hai to mumkin hai', says Mike Pompeo ahead of crucial India visit
- Missile test takes DRDO closer to achieving hypersonic flight capability
- Cyclone Vayu to hit Gujarat Thursday afternoon; 300,000 people evacuated
- NIA arrests alleged mastermind of IS Tamil Nadu module in Coimbatore
- Reach office on time and avoid working from home, PM Modi tells ministers
- Two big elephants in the room hampering quality of education: Geeta Kingdon
Cyclone Vayu LIVE: Gujarat on high alert, Indian Railways cancels 77 trains
Gujarat government has evacuated over 300,000 people from low-lying areas of Gujarat. Catch Cyclone Vayu LIVE updates
Satellite imagery showing cloud band on the West Coast due to Cyclone Vayu. Image source: Skymet
Even though Cyclone Vayu has changed it's course and is unlikely to make landfall in the state, the severity of the storm remains a threat for Gujarat's coastal areas, an IMD official said.
"The threat of surge in wind, dust storm and rainfall stays very much. The centre of the storm -- known as the eye -- has slightly moved away from the Gujarat coast, but its diameter is well over 900 km," the official said.
Earlier, the cyclone was moving straight towards the Gujarat coast, but is has now slightly moved away, the the India Meteorological Department (IMD) official said.
"But going by its extension, there is no relief from the high alert sounded for the Gujarat coast. The cyclonic storm is going to hit Porbandar in Gujarat and other parts till Kutch area," he said.
The IMD will issue further updates about the cyclone by afternoon, the official added.
Gujarat government has evacuated over 300,000 people from low-lying areas of Gujarat and 10,000 from Diu to safer places.
The Indian Railways has cancelled 77 trains and short terminated 33 others due to Cyclone Vayu.
The cancellations were made as a precaution.
Catch LIVE updates on Cyclone Vayu