- No entry to Delhi's Connaught Place for motorists on New Year's Eve
- United States says it won't allow Daniel Pearl's killer to evade justice
- Covid-19 impact: Govt extends 2019-20 ITR filing deadline till January 10
- Modi remembers Subhash Chandra Bose on anniversary of flag hoisting
- Farmers don't trust PM Modi due to long history of 'asatyagraha': Rahul
- Cabinet approves industrial corridor nodes at Krishnapatnam, Tumakuru
- Deadline for filing income tax returns by individuals extended to Jan 10
- Entire Nagaland declared 'disturbed area' under AFSPA, says MHA
- Government approves Rs 3,000 crore project for Odisha's Paradip port
- India drug regulator meets to discuss AstraZeneca vaccine: Report
LIVE updates: BJP-backed candidates leading in Karnataka panchayat polls
Stay tuned for Latest LIVE news updates.
Representative image of VVPAT machines
Latest live news updates: The Union Cabinet on Wednesday approved a scheme to provide bank loans at lower rates to distilleries producing ethanol for doping in petrol, with a view to raising India's ethanol production capacity to suck out surplus sugar as well as cut oil imports. The Cabinet also approved the export of Akash Missile System aiming to achieve the target of $5 billion of defence export and improve strategic relations with friendly foreign countries.
In another news, initial trends indicate that the candidates backed by the BJP have won a majority of panchayat seats in Karnataka as the counting of votes progressed on Wednesday.
Elections were announced for a total of 91,339 seats in 5,728 Gram Panchayats of 226 talukas in the state, out of which candidates have been elected unopposed for 8,074 seats. Elections were held for 43,238 seats in the first phase on December 22, while voting took place for 39,378 seats in the second phase on December 27. A total of 2,22,814 candidates were in the fray.
Stay tuned for the latest news of the day