- Funds swindled by Nirav Modi could be much higher than earlier estimates
- Gujarat police to seek Interpol Blue Corner notice against Nithyananda
- CPCB calls for stringent measures as air quality turns severe in Delhi
- India's software market grew at 12.4% in January-June 2019: IDC report
- 48% Indians prefer food delivery, 34% want to dine out: Uber Eats survey
- US committed to common vision for India defence ties: Pentagon official
- Citizenship Bill: 12 Opposition parties agree on 8 points to counter BJP
- Reliance Jio's All-in-One prepaid plans: Find all tariff details here
- RS okays Taxation Laws Amendment Bill, paves way for expediting growth
- High hostel upkeep costs necessitated JNU fee hike, explains HRD minister
Maharashtra LIVE: SC to hear Shiv Sena, allies' plea at 11.30 am today
BJP's Devendra Fadnavis sworn in for second term as CM, will have Ajit Pawar of NCP as deputy in early morning political move.
From left: Uddhav Thackeray, Sharad Pawar react at press conference | Photo: Kamlesh Pednekar
Maharashtra politics upended Saturday morning headlines when BJP leader Devendra Fadnavis was sworn is as Chief Minister for a second term, with Ajit Pawar as his deputy. Pawar’s Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) had on Friday night pledged support to a Shiv Sena-led alliance along with the Congress.
Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray and NCP boss Sharad Pawar together held a press conference leader hours later to denounce the BJP. Sharad Pawar said the NCP would decide about Ajit Pawar, his nephew, hours later. The Congress party held a press conference separately to say the way the new government was "shameful".
Shiv Sena, Congress and NCP filed a plea in Supreme Court seeking a floor test within 24 hours to avoid horse-trading and "illegal manoeuvres". The SC will hear the petition at 11.30 am today.