- Manoj Sinha reviews preparedness for Independence Day celebrations in J&K
- Amit Shah to lay foundation of Vindhyachal Corridor Project today
- China, India miss UN deadline to submit plans for cutting emissions
- Water supply to be affected in parts of Delhi today due to repair work
- First Zika virus case found in Maharashtra, officials say no need to panic
- North, central India to receive intense rainfall over next four days: IMD
- Delhi Police arrest lady don Anuradha Chaudhari of Kala Jathedi gang
- Rs 133 cr of taxpayers' money lost due to Parliament disruptions: Report
- China, India miss UN deadline to update emissions targets: Officials
- 89 militants killed in J&K this year; over 200 still active, say officials
Parliament highlights: Oppn attacks BJP, says it wants to erase reservation
Opposition parties in Rajya Sabha on Monday demanded that the government file a review petition in the Supreme Court over its ruling on reservation in jobs and promotions for SC/STs
The government on Monday informed Lok Sabha that it was not a party in the Supreme Court which has ordered that states are not bound to provide reservation in appointments. Making a statement in the House, Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thaawarchand Gehlot said the Centre was also not asked to file an affidavit on the issue. Attacking the govt, opposition parties said the govt failed to defend reservation system. Rahul Gandhi, attacking the BJP and the RSS, said "its in govt's DNA to erase reservation". Hitting back, the government said the Congress is trying to politicise a sensitive issue. "This is my charge that the Congress is politicising the sensitive issue," Defence Minister and deputy leader of the House Rajnath Singh said.
Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan gave a detailed report on how the government is tackling the coronavirus epidemic. Till now, experts at various airports have so far screened 1,818 flights, covering a total of 1,97,192 passengers, he informed the Lok Sabha. "Teams of specialist doctors were sent to all airports to ensure effective screening and arrangement for isolation in attached hospitals," he said.