You are here: Home » Current Affairs » News » National
Business Standard

PUBG Corp takes away Tencent Games' India rights of PUBG MOBILE

The development comes a week after India banned 118 apps, including the popular multiplayer game PUBG MOBILE

Topics
PUBG mobile | PUBG | India China border row

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

pubg, chinese companies, apps, games, mobile, smarphones
PUBG Corporation said it fully understands and respects the measures taken by the Indian government as "privacy and security of player data is a top priority for the company"

South Korean gaming company Corporation on Tuesday said China's Games will no longer be authorised to distribute the MOBILE franchise in India.

The development comes a week after India banned 118 apps, including the popular multiplayer game MOBILE.

"In light of recent developments, PUBG Corporation has made the decision to no longer authorise the franchise to Games in India. Moving forward, PUBG Corporation will take on all publishing responsibilities within the country," a statement said.

PUBG Corporation said it fully understands and respects the measures taken by the Indian government as "privacy and security of player data is a top priority for the company".

There was no immediate comments from

The gaming firm also expressed hope to work "hand-in-hand with the Indian government to find a solution that will allow gamers to once again drop into the battlegrounds while being fully compliant with Indian laws and regulations".

PUBG MOBILE is the mobile version of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG), an intellectual property owned and developed by PUBG Corporation.

According to reports, India accounts for a significant portion of PUBG MOBILE's download and usage.

Last week, the government blocked 118 mobile applications, including PUBG MOBILE, terming them prejudicial to the sovereignty, integrity and defence of the nation. This was in addition to the 59 apps with Chinese links that were banned in June on similar grounds.

Interestingly, Bengaluru-based nCore Games has announced the launch FAU:G -- a multiplayer action game that has been developed under the mentorship of Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar -- just days after the government banned PUBG MOBILE.

FAU:G, which stands for 'Fearless and United: Guards' will be launched at the end of October and the first level will be set in the Galwan Valley backdrop, followed by third person shooting gameplay in the subsequent releases.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Tue, September 08 2020. 21:44 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.