If all the laws in the country are laid end to end, there will be no end. India has the longest constitution with 117,369 words (the US has only 4,543). There are 1,248 main Acts, though there is no exact count covering central and state laws. The Supreme Court judgments run into 16 printed volumes every year. Multiply the number for 24 high courts. Then there are procedural rules for each state. The mindboggling data can be mined only by artificial intelligence (AI), the new entrant into the legal field.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Sun, December 29 2019. 18:32 IST