You are here: Home » Economy & Policy » News
Business Standard

2G scam: Two parties needed for conspiracy, says judge to CBI

While deferring a decision on taking cognisance on the charge sheet till March 19, special CBI judge O P Saini told the CBI's prosecutor a conspiracy required two parties

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

A special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court on Friday slammed the bureau’s charge sheet against Bharti Airtel and Vodafone in the 2G spectrum allocation scam for not naming any company official as accused.

While deferring a decision on taking cognisance on the charge sheet till March 19, special CBI judge O P Saini told the investigative agency’s prosecutor a conspiracy required two parties. “You are only blaming the government person. There should also be a private person. Only then is there a conspiracy,” Saini said.

The investigative agency had named former telecom secretary Shyamal Ghosh and three private companies---Bharti Cellular (now Bharti Airtel), Hutchison Max and Sterling Cellular (now Vodafone Essar)---as accused in the case that dates back to 2002, when Pramod Mahajan was telecom minister in the National Democratic Alliance government.

CBI told the court despite its best efforts, it hadn’t been able to trace the conspirator. “So many people have been there in parts, but no one has been present as a whole in the process of filing of applications. The company has been taken over and renamed during the course of this process,” said CBI lawyer K K Goyal.

Saini also questioned CBI on the companies’ managing directors (MDs). “There are two MDs and one of them is also a director in another (accused) company,” Goyal said.

In the last hearing, Saini had asked CBI to submit papers related to the board resolution passed by the accused companies for seeking additional spectrum. CBI, however, told the court no such resolution had been passed and the companies had applied for additional spectrum since it was considered important. Then, the companies had raised the matter with the Cellular Operators Authority of India.

The CBI lawyer said filing an application and pursuing it weren’t offences. “Persuasion to do a conspiracy is criminal. We could not find the person who persuaded the government official,” Goyal said.

Goyal said Ghosh, along with former telecom minister Pramod Mahajan, had abused his position as a public person and showed undue favour to beneficiary companies, resulting in a loss of Rs 846.44 crore to the exchequer. CBI alleged this also led to incidental gains for other telecom companies. This was because for spectrum beyond 6.2 MHz, an additional one per cent adjusted gross revenue was charged, instead of the required two per cent.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Sat, March 09 2013. 00:49 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.