Aadhaar can be useful to weed out fake voter IDs and for streamlining the update of voter database, Ajay Bhushan Pandey, chief executive officer (CEO) of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) told Neha Alawadhi in an interview. The authority, which administers Aadhaar, is working towards bringing more people under the Aadhaar fold. Edited excerpts:
What are the plans around Aadhaar, going forward?
With almost the entire country enrolled, we are now focusing more on update, data security and plan to extend voluntary use of Aadhaar which is backed by proportionate law with adequate safeguards. The Supreme Court judgment had mandated that to use Aadhaar voluntarily to obtain various day-to-day services, one should have a law which should authorise the use of Aadhaar and that law should have adequate safeguards. Also, such a law should also be proportionate.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.