The Centre has announced auctioning of coal mines for commercial exploitation and sale, but the mine-bearing states have been apprehensive of this. Some have pointed to environmentally sensitive zones in which these mines are located while others fear a revenue shortfall. In an interview with Shreya Jai, Union Minister for Coal, Mines and Parliamentary Affairs Pralhad Joshi says he will replace mines from the auction if chief ministers object but they should understand this will change the economic situation in states. Edited excerpts:
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
SUBSCRIBE TO INSIGHTS
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.