Direct tax collection, excluding refunds, fell below Rs 10 trillion for the first time in four years in 2020-21.
However, the collection was expected to decline even further due to the Covid-19 impact. This could be gauged from the fact that the FY21 mop-up of Rs 9.45 trillion was higher by around 4.5 per cent compared to the revised estimates. Also, the government issued 41 per cent higher refunds compared to last year.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Sat, April 10 2021. 02:20 IST