The National Democratic Alliance’s (NDA’s) Rs 75,000-crore income support scheme for farmers (PM-KISAN) could potentially prove a vote catcher for the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the Lok Sabha elections 2019. The amount of money promised to India’s land-owning farmers constitutes an important component of their incomes, consumption, savings and surpluses left with agricultural households every month. This plays out even more starkly in the populous and electorally crucial states mainly in the Hindi belt than in the less populous, less electorally significant and richer ones like Punjab, Kerala and Haryana.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
SUBSCRIBE TO INSIGHTS
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!