You are here: Home » International » News » Companies
Business Standard

Rio Tinto CEO Jean-Sebastien Jacques, top executives resign over cave blast

"Significant stakeholders have expressed concerns about executive accountability for the failings identified," Rio Tinto said in a statement

Topics
Rio Tinto

AP | PTI  |  Sydney 

Rio Tinto CEO Jean-Sébastien Jacques
Rio Tinto CEO Jean-Sébastien Jacques had earlier lost $3.5 million in bonuses over the destruction of two rock shelters in Juukan George inhabited for 46,000 years

chief executive Jean-Sébastien Jacques will leave the Anglo-Australian mining giant by March over the destruction of Australian Indigenous sacred sites to access iron ore, the company said on Friday.

“Significant stakeholders have expressed concerns about executive accountability for the failings identified,” said in a statement.

Jacques will step down once a replacement has been appointed or on March 31, whichever happens sooner, the firm said. Executives Chris Salisbury and Simone Niven will leave on December 31.

announced last month Jacques would lose $3.5 million in bonuses and Salisbury and Niven around $700,000 each over the destruction in May of two rock shelters in Juukan George in Western Australia state that had been inhabited for 46,000 years. Rio Tinto concluded in an internal review last month that there was “no single root cause or error that directly resulted in the destruction of the rock shelters.”

But internal documents revealed last week that Rio Tinto had engaged a law firm in case the traditional owners, the Puutu Kunti Kurrama and Pinikura people, applied for a court injunction to save the rock shelters The Western Australian government has promised to update Indigenous heritage laws that allowed Rio Tinto to legally destroy the sacred sites.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Sat, September 12 2020. 02:21 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.