Equity mutual funds (MFs) saw record inflows in March supported by strong equity markets and new fund offerings (NFOs). The data from Association of Mutual Funds in India (Amfi) shows that equity funds saw net inflows of Rs 28,463.49 crore, with most flows coming into multicap funds.
In March, S&P BSE Sensex Index was up by 4 per cent, while S&P BSE Midcap Index and S&P BSE Smallcap Index gained 3.22 per cent and 5.83 per cent respectively.
March saw all the 11 categories of equity funds see net inflows, with multicaps witnessing highest inflows of Rs 9,694.56 crore, followed by large and midcap funds at Rs 3,164.67 crore, shows the data from Amfi. Surge in inflows into multicap funds was largely due to the NFO of SBI Multicap fund which garnered Rs 8,170 crore.
Market participants say that despite the volatility in markets, investors have continued to invest through systematic investment plans (SIPs). In the current financial year, equity funds have seen net inflows of Rs 1.64 trillion.
However, debt funds saw net outflows to the tune of Rs 1.14 trillion led by high redemptions from liquid funds, overnight funds and corporate bond funds. Typically, at the end of every quarter there are high redemptions from debt schemes as institutions such as banks and corporates redeem their investments to pay for quarterly advance taxes.
Overall, MF industry saw net outflows of Rs 69,883 crore in March and average assets under management (AAUM) of the industry stood at Rs 37.70 trillion.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Fri, April 08 2022. 15:15 IST