- Saksoft hits all-time high ahead of 1:10 stock split; stock soars 19%
- Shree Renuka Sugars surges 24% in three days; trades nears 52-week high
- How ASBA will benefit investors trading via non-bank-backed brokerages
- FMCG beat market blues; charts hint 15% upside for ITC, Varun Beverages
- Analysts cautious on Fortis Healthcare post SC verdict; stock tanks 18%
- After US Fed's hike, RBI action in the next two days to decide rupee's fate
- LIC hits lowest level since listing; shares down 32% from issue price
- Aptus Value Housing Finance soars 8%; Citi initiates coverage on stock
- Have the Indian stock markets rallied too fast, too soon?
- Page Industries rallies 8% in three days; hits new high in a weak market
Sensex ends choppy day 337pts down; Nifty atop 17,600; banks dip, FMCG gain
CLOSING BELL: Sectorally, indices ended mixed with the Nifty FMCG index rising over 1 per cent, while the Nifty Bank, and Financial Services indices falling up to 1.4 per cent each
Stock market highlights: Benchmark indices swung in trade on Thursday as investors digested a 75-basis point interest rate hike by the US Federal Reserve. Besides, the weekly F&O derivatives expiry added to the volatility.
The S&P BSE Sensex gyrated 625 points intra-day before closing at 59,120, down 337 points or 0.57 per cent. The NSE Nifty50, on the other hand, settled at 17,630, down 89 points or 0.50 per cent.
The broader markets, on the contrary, ended in the positive zone, with the BSE MidCap and SmallCap indices advancing up to 0.5 per cent.
Sectorally, indices ended mixed with the Nifty FMCG index rising over 1 per cent, while the Nifty Bank, and Financial Services indices falling up to 1.4 per cent each.