You are here: Home » International » News » Others
Business Standard

Moscow on lockdown after multiple bomb threats; 20,000 people evacuated

Bomb threat calls were about Moscow's major shopping malls and Russian capital's three largest train stations

Topics
Moscow Bomb Threat

ANI 

Moscow

Over 20,000 people have been evacuated from 30 locations including shopping malls, train stations and two universities in Russia's Moscow after simultaneous bomb threats from multiple locations.

Authorities claim to have received "almost simultaneous" warnings, which said, some of Moscow's most popular public places had been rigged with explosives.

"Twenty sites are currently being evacuated, and more than 10,000 people have been escorted out, though the specific number is still being confirmed," TASS quoted the Russian capital's emergencies services, as saying.

"Evacuation has been conducted at 30 facilities, with a total of 20,000 people taken outside. The figure is still being verified," the official said.

Largely, bomb threat calls were about Moscow's major shopping malls and Russian capital's three largest train stations - Leningradsky, Kazansky and Kievsky. Also, students and teaching staff were evacuated from the Sechenov Medical University and MGIMO Relations University.

Authorities are investigating as no explosives have yet been found in any of the locations.

"Each call is being checked. Emergency services are working. Police dogs will be used to track down the bombs," the official said.Police said that most calls had come nearly simultaneously and were still coming in."It seems like telephone terrorism and nothing else, but all the calls should be checked up," TASS quoted an official saying.

(Only the headline and picture of this report may have been reworked by the Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Wed, September 13 2017. 22:57 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
.