Business Standard

Major fire in Nalco power plant in Odisha

IANS  |  Bhubaneswar 

A major fire broke out at Nalco's captive power plant in Odisha's on Tuesday, causing extensive damage but no one was injured, the state-run PSU said.

The fire broke out in the old generator transformer of the plant's Unit-8 due to internal short circuit.

However, there has been no injury to any person and there was no production loss on account of the fire.

The generator transformer which has suffered extensive damage is valued at about Rs 10 crore, said sources.

Four fire tenders rushed to the spot and controlled the fire.

"There is no cause for panic. As the generator transformer was old, the damage on account of the fire is marginal," said a release from Nalco.

The fire was controlled immediately by the fire extinguishing team under the leadership of the Executive Director, Smelter & Power, and was not allowed to spread to adjoining area and machinery, the release added.

The power situation was normalised immediately by starting the stand-by unit, it said.



(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Tue, July 11 2017. 20:20 IST