Global warming, already a harsh reality, is now accelerating. As the fascinating documentary Our Planet Earth on Netflix, warns us, the Earth may well be facing an existential crisis. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC’s) report of October 2018 (https://youtu.be/rVjp3TO_jul) contains a dire warning that our window to reverse the environmental damage could well close in less than the next two decades. The increase in the greenhouse gases (GHGs) and carbon dioxide (CO2) levels are much beyond the threshold level of 350 parts per million (ppm). They are currently at 410 ppm. In recent months, scientists have warned us that we are in a grave danger of missing the Paris targets of keeping global temperatures from rising above 2 degrees centigrade. The on-going protests across Europe, unprecedented in their scale and duration, reflect rising public concern at this impending disaster. It is time that we, in India, make the fight for ecological protection into a Jan Aandolan.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Thu, April 25 2019. 01:08 IST