Former US president Donald Trump has urged the world to demand $10 trillion as reparation from China for the Covid-19 pandemic. This demand is built on the hypothesis that the SARS-COV-2 virus leaked from the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV) after being enhanced by researchers. That hypothesis is not only being aired extensively across media; it is seen as a serious possibility by many qualified persons, as well as the political establishments of major nations. It is unlikely this could ever be proved or disproved definitively. But the hypothesis itself has had a negative impact on the already stressed geopolitics of 2021. It could also lead, one way or the other, to higher standards imposed by international consensus upon bio-research.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Tue, June 08 2021. 22:13 IST