Apropos the news report “Five sentenced to death by Saudi court over Jamal Khashoggi's murder” (December 23), even the very naive cannot digest the verdict. Khashoggi was brutally murdered by a 15-member team at the Saudi Consulate in Turkey, in October 2018. Besides the five sentenced to death, three have been given prison sentences, while three others, including the former deputy chief of intelligence Ahmed al-Asiri, have been exonerated. Justice should not only be done, but should also be seen to be done. The governments across the world may not criticise the verdict for fear of earning the displeasure of the oil rich nation, but people outside the kingdom cannot be silenced by the dictum “the king can do no wrong”.
V Jayaraman Chennai
Letters can be mailed, faxed or e-mailed to:
The Editor, Business Standard
Nehru House, 4 Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg
New Delhi 110 002
Fax: (011) 23720201 ·
All letters must have a postal address and telephone number
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Tue, December 24 2019. 21:28 IST