This refers to “Locust attacks have links with climate change” by Sunita Narain (January 27). If this is read by our political leaders from different regions, it might nudge them to take some proactive measures to bring down the losses for the poor farmers in Rajasthan and Gujarat. However, the poor “locust” has come handy for the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in Rajasthan. A BJP MLA, Bihari Lal Nokha, entered the state Assembly carrying a basket of locust — a unique way of protesting and drawing the attention of the Congress government there. Hence, locusts have turned into a fodder for the political slugfest between the two sides. There is a good chance that the BJP would take it to the next level and claim that it is a conspiracy to tarnish its image.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Mon, January 27 2020. 21:19 IST