Some unemployment puzzles

Why are so many young boys and girls keen to work but are not actively looking for work?


According to the analysis, in the quarter of September 2021, the employee costs of the BSE 500 listed companies rose 18 per cent

Mahesh Vyas
The unemployment rate is not India’s most important labour market indicator. The unemployment rate was 7.9 per cent in December 2021. This does not mean that the remaining 92.1 per cent were employed. It does not even mean that 92.1 per cent of all working-age people were employed. The unemployment rate merely tells us the proportion of the working-age population that wants to be employed to earn some wages or profits through its work but in spite of its efforts to find employment is unable to do so. The unemployment rate does not take into account those who do not want to be employed and those who do not try to find work.

In a sense, the unemployment rate assumes
Disclaimer: These are personal views of the writer. They do not necessarily reflect the opinion of or the Business Standard newspaper

First Published: Jan 17 2022 | 11:59 PM IST

Explore News

To read the full story, subscribe to BS Premium now, at just Rs 249/ month.

Key stories on are available only to BS Premium subscribers.

Register to