The Gond painting captivated me the minute I set my eyes on it. It was a peaceful, pastoral scene of two cows with magnificent horns under a tree full of birds. Perhaps I was being fanciful, but I could picture a story in every brushstroke on the canvas. Which is why when I had the chance to talk to the artist who’d painted it, stories were all I wanted to hear. His name was Ram Kumar Shyam, alias Jabbu, and he was from Patangarh from district Dindori in Madhya Pradesh. I told him I loved the cow and bird painting. He especially liked it too, he said, and told me how he came to paint it.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
SUBSCRIBE TO INSIGHTS
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.