“Follow the money,” Deep Throat famously advised two reporters on the Watergate story. As it happens, that is one way to understand Ukraine’s politics, and the twists and turns in its history since the break-up of the Soviet Union. Because if any country has been run by its oligarchs (businessmen who also straddle politics and policy), it is this schizophrenic one that is mostly ethnic Ukrainian but also part Russian (among other identities), and caught in a perennial tug of war between East and West.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
First Published: Fri, September 23 2022. 17:57 IST