The demand for gold is expected to take a hit if the price of the yellow metal -- which has been hovering around Rs 60,000, a level never seen before -- remains elevated.
Because of a sharp increase in price in a very short time and the flow of smuggled gold continuing, gold price in Mumbai is quoted at around Rs 59,000 per 10 gram.
Typically, overall demand in the January-March and July-September quarters is moderate-to-dull, which is the case in the ongoing period. However, this along with prevailing high prices ahead of April-June quarter, which is strong due to the marriage season and Akshaya Tritiya, this year may see low gold demand after a robust 2022.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Subscribe To Insights
Key stories on business-standard.com are available to premium subscribers only.Already a BS Premium subscriber? Log in NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.