You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Girl dies after being given iron-boosting pills in BMC school

Press Trust of India  |  Mumbai 

A girl student of a civic body-run school here died today while over 160 other students were hospitalised due to suspected poisoning after they took iron-medicines given by the school.

The 12-year-old girl was administered iron and folic acid tablets on Monday at the Municipal Urdu School Number 2 at Bainganwadi in suburban Govandi, a statement from the (BMC)said.

It added that she skipped school on Tuesday but attended classes on Wednesday and yesterday and died at her home last night after a "history of vomiting blood".

The statement said the students of BMC-run schools were given iron, folic acid and deworming tablets as part of a scheme aimed at fighting anaemia among children.

The civic body claimed that "there were no reports of any untoward incident" during this national programme.

Officials today said tuberculosis might be a cause behind the girl's death, though the BMC statement maintained that the "details of her previous illness are not known".

A BMC said the parents of 161 other students of the school "panicked" and brought them to the civic body-run at at Govandi.

"A few children complained of nausea and giddiness. However, no one had major signs or symptoms," a senior BMC said.

He added that all the children were examined by paediatricians and advised discharge from the hospitals.

Padmaja Keskar, Executive Health Officer, BMC said the tablets given to the students were "tried and tested", adding that the cause of the girl's death would only be known once the post-mortem report came in.

A said the incident was being probed.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, August 10 2018. 16:45 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU