You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Hong Kong teen activist acquitted over 2014 China protest

AP  |  Hong Kong 

A Hong Kong court today acquitted teen pro-democracy leader Joshua Wong of obstructing police at a protest two years ago against China's tightening hold on the city.

Wong tweeted that he and three others were found not guilty. It's the first verdict in a number of court trials Wong is facing.

The 19-year-old activist captured world headlines when he led pro-democracy street protests in late 2014 against Beijing's decision to restrict elections in Hong Kong, a semiautonomous Chinese region.

The obstruction charges, which carried a maximum two-year sentence, stemmed from a separate protest months earlier in which Wong and the others set fire to an oversized cardboard prop representing a "white paper" policy document issued by China's communist leaders.

"The result of this trial is already proof that it's just a political prosecution," Wong tweeted after the verdict. The document angered many in Hong Kong because it asserted Beijing has "comprehensive" authority over Hong Kong. It also said that many Hong Kongers had a "lopsided" view of the "one country, two systems" principle that outlines the former British colony's relationship with Beijing.

Prosecutors said police officers moved in to try to douse the flames with bottles of water but were blocked by Wong and another student protest leader, Nathan Law, according to local media reports. However, the defense team argued that they were pushed from behind by the crowd and couldn't hear police, the reports said.

Two other activists who appeared alongside Law and Wong were also cleared.

Wong is also accused in a separate trial of inciting student demonstrators to storm a courtyard at Hong Kong government headquarters in September 2014, leading to a standoff between thousands of supporters and police, who responded with tear gas. The verdict in that case is expected at the end of the month.

He also faces trial on contempt charges for allegedly blocking police trying to clear a protest zone in Hong Kong's Mong Kok district in November 2014.

Dear Reader,


Business Standard has always strived hard to provide up-to-date information and commentary on developments that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our offering have only made our resolve and commitment to these ideals stronger. Even during these difficult times arising out of Covid-19, we continue to remain committed to keeping you informed and updated with credible news, authoritative views and incisive commentary on topical issues of relevance.
We, however, have a request.

As we battle the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more, so that we can continue to offer you more quality content. Our subscription model has seen an encouraging response from many of you, who have subscribed to our online content. More subscription to our online content can only help us achieve the goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, fair and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practise the journalism to which we are committed.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital Editor

First Published: Tue, June 07 2016. 13:48 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU