You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

KTK HC sets aside lower court order on media gag about BJP LS candidate

Press Trust of India  |  Bengaluru 

The High Court on Friday set aside a temporary passed by a lower court restraining the media from reporting any alleged defamatory statement against Bengaluru South BJP candidate

The defendants are not prevented from publishing or telecasting any item which is not defamatory in their opinion, the court said.

In case the plaintiff is aggrieved by any such publication or telecast of any item, he may approach the Election Commission of India, it said.

Passing the order, a division bench comprising L Narayana Swamy and Justice disposed of the case.

The court order came on a PIL filed by Association for Democratic Reforms, an NGO, questioning the temporary passed by a City Civil and last month.

The lower court had restrained 49 media outlets, including newspapers, television channels, and from reporting any defamatory statement in any manner against Surya.

The High Court had reserved its verdict on Thursday.

In a surprise move, the BJP had allocated ticket to 28-year-old Surya, just hours before the deadline for filing nominations for the first phase of polls in Karnataka, denying ticket to Tejaswini Ananth Kumar, widow of former union

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Fri, April 12 2019. 21:10 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU