You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

LG suspends e-PoS system of ration distribution

Press Trust of India  |  New Delhi 

Delhi Baijal today suspended the e-PoS system of ration distribution and ordered the Anti-Corruption Branch to investigate the alleged misuse of OTP authentication in delivery of ration.

Arvind Kejriwal, his deputy and Food & had demanded him to scrap the e-PoS (electronic point of sale) system, under which beneficiaries were given ration after biometric identification.

Although Baijal also hinted at approving the AAP government's ambitious doorstep delivery of ration scheme, he asked it to take the consent of the Centre before implementing it.

"Baijal received the proposal for suspension of e-PoS devices from the CM and (F&S) and concurred with the same," the office said in a statement.

It said the hoped all legal, financial and administrative implications of this decision have been taken into account by the Delhi

"The stated that we should not end up discarding the very technology that enabled detection of fraudulent transactions in the first place," it stated.

According to the statement, Baijal was "surprised" to receive a proposal to suspend the operation of e-PoS devices which they themselves were keen to introduce a few months ago in view of its crucial role in preventing diversion of

Last week, Deputy Sisodia alleged that the has found "open theft" in delivery of ration and demanded the suspension of Food and K R Meena.

He said a preliminary inquiry into a sample of data indicated that the provision of OTP has been "misused" and ration has been "siphoned off" in March.

The One-Time Password (OTP) provision is used to give ration in case the biometric identification of beneficiary fails under the e-POS system.

Responding to Sisodia's allegations, the office said: "The LG has referred the entire matter to the ACB in view of the seriousness of the allegations made for expeditious investigation. The L-G also assured that strict action would be taken against anyone found guilty."

Talking about the the government's doorstep delivery of ration scheme, the L-G's office said: "If the elected government is convinced that sufficient checks and balances have been put in place in the proposed doorstep delivery of ration scheme and the issue highlighted by him in the previous note have been addressed, he has no objection to the implementation of the same."


However, the statutory requirement of seeking prior approval of central government under Section 12(2)(h) of the National Food Security Act, 2013 - as pointed out by the in its note in the concerned File - would have to be met before the scheme is implemented, the statement stated.

"The Lt Governor hoped that action would be taken expeditiously by the elected government as per the advice of so that there is no further loss of time," it stated.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Mon, April 16 2018. 23:15 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU