You are here: Home » PTI Stories » National » News
Business Standard

Renewed violence, looting in Haiti come amid calls for strike

AFP  |  Port-Au-Prince 

Fresh looting broke out on the streets of Haiti's capital today as protestors called for a two-day despite the government's climbdown over controversial fuel price hikes.

Facing unrest that has now left at least three dead, leaders of the country suspended the price spikes "until further notice" -- but the about-face has failed to quell the anger of residents.

In the heart of Port-au-Prince, AFP journalists saw shops ransacked as protestors, some armed with knives, were met by police who fired weapons into the air and detonated tear gas.

Many Haitians are now demanding the immediate departure of and calling for a two-day to begin tomorrow.

"If the stays one more day, the game will take on a new appearance: we will cut off the roads and burn everything, because we have nothing else to lose," said one masked protestor.

Moise had urged demonstrators late yesterday to "go home," saying the price hike suspension had "corrected what had to be corrected." The televised speech disappointed much of the population and the political class: "We were expecting another speech, a serene analysis of the situation that has prevailed in the country in the last two days and caused so much loss of life and materials," lawmaker told AFP.

The renewed violence follows two days of in the city, sparked Friday by a government announcement that gasoline prices would rise by 38 percent, diesel by 47 percent and kerosene by 51 percent starting this weekend.

Airlines including and cancelled several morning flights today, with additional cancellations possible into the afternoon over staffing shortages.

In announcing the suspension of the price hikes, emphasized that "violence and democracy are fundamentally incompatible."

Even before the fuel price controversy, deputies had already begun a debate on his future, and Saturday's U-turn could lead to the government's fall. On Friday night, the of an died in an altercation with demonstrators in central Port-au-as he attempted to get through a roadblock. His body was then burned in the road.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

First Published: Mon, July 09 2018. 00:50 IST