Business Standard

SME Chatroom: HS Code error in bill of entry can be amended after clearance

Here's how to claim a refund of the excess duty paid

exports, imports, supply chain, economy, growth, shipping

Photo: Bloomberg

TNC Rajagopalan
Q. During our internal audit, we discovered that we had mentioned the wrong HS Code in the bill of entry and ended up paying excess duty. Can we claim a refund of the excess duty paid?

Yes. First, you have to get the bill of entry amended and reassessed. In this connection, please refer to the case of Dimension Data India Pvt. Ltd. [2021(376) ELT 376 (Bom.)], wherein the Bombay High Court directed the Customs to consider the prayer of the petitioner for amendment of the HS Codes in various bills of entry by exercising power under Section 149, read

Don't miss the most important news and views of the day. Get them on our Telegram channel

First Published: Jan 24 2022 | 3:55 PM IST

Explore News

To read the full story, subscribe to BS Premium now, at just Rs 249/ month.

Key stories on are available only to BS Premium subscribers.

Register to