Early this morning, the police took him to the institute and questioned him in the room where he allegedly called students
Chaitanyananda Saraswati was produced before a Delhi court on Sunday, with police seeking 5-day custody of the self-styled godman accused of sexually harassing 17 women students at a private institute here, officials said. The 62-year-old accused, who was apprehended from Agra Sunday morning, was produced before Duty Magistrate Ravi at 3:40 pm. A Delhi Police team traced Saraswati to Agra, where he was staying at a hotel, officials said. Earlier, police froze Rs 8 crore linked to Saraswati, which was parked in multiple bank accounts and fixed deposits. According to the FIR, Saraswati, a former chairman of a management institute in southwest Delhi, allegedly forced female students to visit his quarter late at night, and sent them inappropriate text messages at odd hours. He allegedly kept track of the students' movements through his phone. During the investigation, it was revealed that the accused allegedly used different names and particulars to operate multiple bank accounts and
The Calcutta High Court on Friday set aside the Centre's decision to deport Sonali Bibi and Sweety Bibi, residents of Birbhum district in West Bengal, along with their families to Bangladesh after terming them as "illegal immigrants". The court directed the Centre to ensure that the six deported citizens are brought back to India within a month. The court also rejected the central government's appeal to grant temporary stay on the order. In July this year, PTI had visited both families in the Paikar area of Murarai, Birbhum post the deportation of the suspects and reported on the plight of the members living on the Indian side of the border. A division bench of Justices Tapabrata Chakraborty and Reetobroto Kumar Mitra passed two orders in connection with a Habeas Corpus petition filed by Bhodu Sheikh who claimed that her daughter Sunali, who is currently nine months pregnant, along with her husband, Danesh Sheikh, and five-year-old son hailing from Murarai in Birbhum, were detained
The Delhi Police has apprehended 25 Bangladeshi immigrants, including 23 from Uttar Pradesh's Kanpur Dehat, an official said on Thursday. According to police, five are minors and 10 are women among the apprehended. All the accused had been residing in India for the last eight years without any legal travel or residential documents, they said. Police carried out the operation in Delhi following intelligence inputs, which led to the interception of two Bangladeshi nationals, identified as Hasan Sheikh (35) and Abdul Sheikh (37), both residents of Satkhira district in Bangladesh. "On interrogation, they revealed that several of their relatives and associates were living in Kanpur Dehat. Acting swiftly, the police team conducted a raid there and apprehended 23 more Bangladeshi nationals," a senior police officer said. All those arrested were found to be working as ragpickers, farm labourers, or engaged in casual occupations, the police said. They have been shifted to the MCD Communit
The Delhi Police has issued a lookout circular against self-styled godman Swami Chaitanyananda Saraswati, the main accused in a harassment case, an official said on Wednesday. "A lookout circular (LOC) has been issued against him to prevent any attempt to flee the country," Deputy Commissioner of Police (Southwest) Amit Goel said. The officer further said that multiple police teams are conducting raids across Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Uttarakhand in connection with the case. The development comes after several women students of a private management institute accused Saraswati of harassment, alleging that he summoned them to his room and threatened to lower their marks or fail them. Some students have also claimed that he lured them with promises of foreign trips. According to police, the accused was a sanchalak (management committee member) at the Sri Sharada Institute of Indian Management in southwest Delhi. This is not the first time he has faced such allegatio
SSC has begun the registration process for Delhi Police Recruitment Constable 2025 at the official website of SSC at ssc.gov.in. This recruitment drive will fill 7565 posts in the organisation
Samir Modi's senior counsel raised questions about the timing of a look-out circular (LOC), stating, "How can a LOC (Look-out circular) be issued in five days of FIR?"
Delhi Police arrested Modicare MD Samir Modi under IPC Sections 376 and 506 in a rape case registered on September 10, with reports saying he will be produced in Saket court
Police have registered a case of culpable homicide after a senior finance ministry official died when his motorcycle was hit by a luxury sports utility vehicle near the Delhi Cantonment metro station a day earlier, an official said on Monday. Deputy Secretary in the Department of Economic Affairs, Navjot Singh (52), a resident of Hari Nagar, was killed in the accident on Sunday afternoon, while his wife sustained serious injuries. The couple was returning home after visiting the Bangla Sahib Gurdwara. The BMW, which was being driven by a woman with her husband by her side, who were also injured in the incident. According to police, the couple, residents of Gurugram, are in the business of manufacturing leather saddles, seats, covers, belts and other products. They have been admitted to a hospital and their statements are yet to be recorded, police said. According to a Delhi Police official, the case has been registered under Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita sections sections 281 (rash driv
Activist Umar Khalid on Thursday opposed the framing of charges in the 2020 Delhi riots "larger conspiracy" case and told a Delhi court that he has spent five years in custody in this "joke of an FIR". He alleged that evidence was fabricated to implicate him. The arguments on framing of charges were being held before Additional Sessions Judge Sameer Bajpai. Khalid's counsel, senior advocate Trideep Pais, said, "I have spent five years in custody in this joke of an FIR. This FIR doesn't have the sanctity of law." The case is being investigated by Delhi Police's Special Cell. Pais said the FIR, in which the prosecution claimed that 51 innocent people died, was unnecessary as these deaths are being probed separately. "The deaths of those people are being investigated by 751 different FIRs," the senior counsel said. He alleged that the prosecution initially decided to implicate a person and then targeted him by fabricating documents and filing the chargesheet. "You first decide 'is
The police have also recovered some parts used in the making of IEDs
In a joint operation, Delhi Police's Special Cell, Jharkhand Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and Ranchi police have arrested two suspected ISIS operatives, an official said on Wednesday. The prime accused, identified as Bokaro native Ashar Danish, was arrested from Ranchi, he said. He was wanted in a case registered by the Delhi Police Special Cell related to an ISIS-linked module. Another suspect, Aftab, was apprehended from Delhi during coordinated action carried out simultaneously by the teams, according to police. Preliminary investigation suggests that both were in touch with other members of an ISIS-inspired network and were engaged in activities aimed at furthering the terror outfit's agenda in India, source in the operation said. Danish had been on the radar of security agencies for several months.
A bomb threat email targeting Delhi Chief Minister's Secretariat and Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC) triggered a swift security response on Tuesday, an official said. According to the Delhi Fire Service (DFS), a separate call regarding the threat was also received, following which multiple fire tenders were rushed to the spot as a precautionary measure. Delhi Police said the threat email mentioned a possible detonation at both MAMC and the CM Secretariat. Immediate and coordinated action was taken under standard operating procedures (SOPs), with bomb detection and disposal teams (BDDT) pressed into service at both sites. "Senior officers, including additional DCP (central), ACP Kamla Market and SHO IP Estate, were present at the Secretariat overseeing anti-sabotage checks. At MAMC, the exercise was being supervised by the additional traffic officer (ATO) of IP Estate police station. Appropriate measures have been taken to ensure the safety and security of people present at both
Two wanted criminals linked to foreign-based gangsters Rohit Godara and Harry Boxer were arrested after an encounter with Delhi Police's Special Cell here, officials said on Thursday. They said the arrests were made late on Wednesday night from the New Ashok Nagar area in west Delhi. The identities of the arrested criminals, who were wanted in a case, were not known immediately. According to police, Rohit Godara and Harry Boxer are linked with the Lawrence Bishnoi gang. Acting on a tip-off that the two wanted criminals were planning to commit a crime in the city, police laid a trap and nabbed them. One of the accused sustained a bullet injury in his leg during the exchange of fire with police, the officials said. Further details are awaited.
Political parties slammed the Delhi Police on Monday for allegedly using force against Staff Selection Commission (SSC) aspirants protesting at Ramlila Maidan against "mismanagement" in recruitment exams, even as the police denied claims of baton charging the demonstrators. SSC students and trainers staged a protest at Ramlila Maidan on Sunday, demanding better conduct of the examination. Former Delhi deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia posted a video on X in which police personnel were seen pushing a protester and dragging another. "At Delhi's Ramlila Maidan, the BJP's 'Lathi-Leela'. Brutal baton charge on SSC students and teachers, dragged them away forcefully. When it comes to providing jobs, the Modi government ranks last, but when it comes to lathi-charging youth, it is number one," he said. The Congress-affiliated NSUI, in a late-night post on X, levelled similar allegations. "For demanding a fair SSC recruitment, today the Modi government had students thrashed with batons.
The Delhi Police on Sunday arrested another person in connection with the assault on Chief Minister Rekha Gupta, officials said. The accused has been identified as Tahseen Syed, a friend of prime accused Sakriya Rajeshbhai Khimji, they said. On Wednesday, CM Gupta was attacked during a public hearing at her Civil Lines camp office. Khimji (41), an autorickshaw driver, was arrested in connection with the attack. Tahseen was brought from Gujarat's Rajkot to the capital on Friday night for questioning and was arrested today, they said.
The Delhi BNSS (Service of Summons and Warrants) Rules, 2025, have been notified by the city government, paving the way for electronic delivery of court summons and warrants through WhatsApp and e-mail, officials said on Saturday. The move will save time and ensure prompt delivery of the summons, they said. The notification, issued by the home department of Delhi government, was earlier approved by Lieutenant Governor V K Saxena, officials said. The provision of electronic delivery will free the police force from paperwork and clerical duties, thereby strengthening their policing activities and investigations, said a senior government official. Now, the summons issued by the courts will be generated electronically and carry the digital seal and signature of the judge concerned. Police will then communicate it to the person concerned through e-mail or WhatsApp. According to the Rules, the courts may direct for physical delivery of the summons if the electronic delivery fails or the
Senior IPS officer Satish Golcha on Friday took charge as the 26th Commissioner of Delhi Police, succeeding S B K Singh, who held the post for just 21 days. Golcha, a 1992-batch officer from the Arunachal Pradesh-Goa-Mizoram and Union Territories (AGMUT) cadre, assumed charge at the Delhi Police Headquarters here. The home ministry issued the appointment order on Thursday. It came a day after Delhi Chief Minister Rekha Gupta was attacked during a public hearing at her Civil Lines office on Wednesday. Officials, however, clarified that the posting was unrelated to the attack. Golcha, who will serve till April 2027, is known for his no-nonsense approach and played a decisive role as special commissioner of police (law and order) during the 2020 northeast Delhi riots. His predecessor, S B K Singh, a 1988-batch officer, is believed to have had the shortest tenure as Delhi Police chief, having taken over on August 1 following the retirement of Sanjay Arora.
A similar incident of a Parliament security breach took place in 2024, when a man in his early 20s scaled the Parliament wall and entered the Annexe building
It is alleged that Rajesh's friend transferred money to him. The Delhi Police is currently tracking ten people who were in contact with the accused through calls and messages