You are here: Home » Current Affairs » News » National
Business Standard

Hafiz Saeed walks free, vows to gather Pakistanis for Kashmir's freedom

'I fight the case of Kashmiris. I will gather people from across Pakistan for the cause of Kashmir. And we will try to help Kashmiris get their destination of freedom,' Saeed said

Agencies  |  Lahore/New Delhi 

hafiz, pakistan, hafiz saeed
File photo of Hafiz Saeed

Mumbai attack mastermind and (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed today walked from house arrest as a free man and moments after the release he said he will gather people across for the "cause of Kashmir" and help the Kashmiris secure "freedom". The JuD head, who carries a bounty of $10 million announced by the US for his role in terror activities, was set free after the government decided against detaining him further in any case. He has been under detention since January this year. "I was detained for 10 months only to stop my voice for Kashmir," Saeed told his supporters who gathered outside his residence to celebrate his release. The Judicial Review Board of Punjab province comprising judges of the (LHC) yesterday unanimously ordered Saeed's release on the completion of his 30-day house arrest which expired tonight. ALSO READ: Hafiz Saeed's release in Pak shocking, can't be accepted: Kasab's lawyer "I fight the case of Kashmiris. I will gather the people from across the country for the cause of And we will try to help Kashmiris get their destination of freedom." Saeed said he was detained when he announced a month of solidarity for Kashmiris this January. He used the release order to buttress his claims of "innocence". "I am very happy that none of the allegations against me proved three judges of the LHC ordered my release ... India had levelled baseless allegations against me. The LHC's review board decision has proved that I am innocent," Saeed said. The JuD chief said that the US, on India's request, pressured to detain him. ALSO READ: 'A serious blow' to India: Hafiz Saeed after Pak court orders his release "...

I was detained on the pressure of the US on the The US did so on the request of India," he claimed. Several JuD activists gathered outside Saeed's residence in Jauhar town in Lahore to celebrate his release. They shouted anti-India slogans and described his leader as "a hope for Kashmiri people". "We are happy to see our leader free," a JuD spokesman told PTI. "Hafiz sahib received his release order from the jail officials. Now he is a free man," Ahmad said. He said after his release Saeed thanked to his supporters gathered outside his house. "Saeed has been freed as the Punjab government decided not to detain him further in any other case," a top official in the government told PTI. ALSO READ: Time to cancel Pak's major non-NATO ally status: US expert on Saeed release He said after a long deliberation by the officials concerned it has been decided to follow the review board's decision. Official sources said that Saeed's release would invite strong criticism from India and the US. "How will the handle the foreign pressure to again detain Saeed is to be seen," they said. Punjab said the government law officer had presented "some important evidence" to justify Saeed's detention but all three members of the board unanimously rejected it and ordered his release. On January 31, Saeed and his four aides - Abdullah Ubaid, Malik Zafar Iqbal, Abdul Rehman Abid and Qazi Kashif Hussain - were detained by the Punjab government for 90 days under Anti-Terrorism Act 1997 and the Fourth Schedule of Anti- Terrorism Act 1997. However, the last two extensions were made on the 'public safety law'. The board refused to give further extension to the detention of Saeed's aides. They were set free last month. ALSO READ: Pak trying to 'mainstream' proscribed terrorists: India on Saeed's release Under the law, the government can detain a person for up to three months under different charges but for an extension to that detention, it needs approval from a judicial review board. The JuD is believed to be the front organisation for the banned (LeT) which is responsible for carrying out the Mumbai attack. Saeed was put under house arrest after the Mumbai terror attack in November 2008 but he was freed by the court in 2009. India has repeatedly asked to re-investigate the Mumbai terror attack case and also demanded a trial of Saeed and LeT operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi in the light of the evidence it had provided to Islamabad. Ten LeT militants killed 166 people and wounded dozens in Mumbai in November 2008. Nine of the attackers were killed by police while lone survivor Ajmal Kasab was caught. Kasab was executed after a court found him guilty and handed down the death sentence. ALSO READ: Pak judicial body rejects govt's plea, releases 26/11 brain Hafiz Saeed Saeed was declared a by the US and the UN over his alleged role in the attack. India says Saeed's shows Pakistan's 'lack of seriousness' In a strong reaction, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said Saeed's release confirmed once again the lack of seriousness by the government in bringing to justice perpetrators of terrorism, including individuals and entities designated by the UN. "It also appears to be an attempt by the Pakistani system to mainstream proscribed terrorists. has not changed its policy of shielding and supporting non-state actors and its true face is visible for all to see," MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar told a press conference. "India, as indeed the entire international community, is outraged that a self-confessed and UN proscribed terrorist is being allowed to walk free and continue his evil agenda," he said, adding the terrorist was also responsible for unleashing numerous other terror attacks against Pakistan's neighbours. Kumar said it is the responsibility of the government to fulfil its international obligations and take credible and effective action against terrorists like Saeed. "His release confirms once again the lack of seriousness on the part of the Pakistani government in bringing to justice perpetrators of heinous acts of terrorism, including by individuals and entities designated by the United Nations. The banned Jamaat-ud-Dawah head, who carries a bounty of $10 million announced by the US for his role in terror activities, has been under detention since January. Replying to a question on whether the administration has been soft on dealing with terrorism emanating from Pakistan, Kumar called the observation wrong and said both India and the US were on the "same page" in combating terrorism.

First Published: Fri, November 24 2017. 09:12 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU