Operation Sindoor

Pakistan must stop backing terror or face consequences: Army chief

In a stern military message to Islamabad, Army Chief Gen Upendra Dwivedi on Saturday said if Pakistan continues to harbour terrorists and operate against India, then they have to "decide whether they want to be part of geography or history or not". At an interactive session hosted by 'Uniform Unveiled' at the Manekshaw Centre here, he was asked about how the Indian Army will respond if circumstances that led to Operation Sindoor last year comes up again. The Army chief said, "If you have heard me earlier, what I have said... that Pakistan, if it continues to harbour terrorists and operate against India, then they have to decide whether they want to be part of geography or history or not." His remarks at the event, 'Sena Samwad', came days after the country and the Indian military marked the first anniversary of Operation Sindoor. Gen Dwivedi's remarks, though brief carried a blunt message to Pakistan, and reiterated India's stand against terrorism. Operation Sindoor was launched e

Updated On: 16 May 2026 | 12:43 PM IST

Pakistan history of tactical brilliance, strategic failure

The revisionist history of every war or skirmish is a popular subcontinental phenomenon

Updated On: 16 May 2026 | 9:15 AM IST

Best of BS Opinion: Can middle powers prevent transactional geopolitics?

From the rise of transactional geopolitics to oil shock risks and Pakistan's strategic missteps, BS Opinion examines the global uncertainties shaping politics and business

Updated On: 16 May 2026 | 6:15 AM IST

Nations must reflect: India on China backing Pakistan during Op Sindoor

India on Tuesday said that reports of China supporting Pakistan during Operation Sindoor corroborate what was known earlier and it is for nations that consider themselves responsible to reflect whether supporting attempts to protect terrorist infrastructure affects their standing. Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Randhir Jaiswalstated this while responding to a question on Chinese official media reports that admitted to Beijing providing technical support to Pakistan during Operation Sindoor carried out by India in May 2025 to avenge the Pahalgam terror attacks. "We have seen these reports that corroborate what was known earlier. Operation Sindoor was a precise, targeted and calibrated response to the terrorist attacks in Pahalgam, aimed at destroying state-sponsored terrorist infrastructure operating out of Pakistan and at its behest," Jaiswal said at the press briefing. "It is for nations who consider themselves responsible to reflect whether supporting attempts to protec

Updated On: 12 May 2026 | 11:04 PM IST

India ready to counter any cross-border misadventure: Navy chief designate

Indian Navy chief designate Vice Admiral Krishna Swaminathan has said the country has been a victim of terrorism for several years, and asserted that it remains prepared to counter and quell any "misadventure" from across the border. Operation Sindoor was targeted specifically at terrorists and terrorist camps that participated in a very dastardly incident in Pahalgam in 2025, said Swaminathan, the Flag Officer, Commanding-in-Chief of the Western Naval Command. The country cannot accept terrorist activities in the country, especially when they come from foreign soil, he asserted at an event organised by the Bramha Research Foundation, a think tank, in Mumbai on Monday. "Anybody who is sensible in the world knows the misadventure does not come anywhere or anytime from India. India has always been in a responding kind of mode. The misadventure comes from across the border. People can say what they want, but as far as we are concerned, India will remain prepared and if any misadventure

Updated On: 12 May 2026 | 9:21 AM IST

Govt appoints new CDS, Navy chief amid theatre command restructuring push

Lt Gen N S Raja Subramani (Retd.) to lead military integration push, while Vice Admiral Krishna Swaminathan takes charge amid maritime security challenges

Updated On: 10 May 2026 | 11:34 PM IST

A year after Operation Sindoor

For the first time after the Kargil war, the civilian population in the border areas of India and Pakistan were affected and the operations were conducted in a standoff mode

Updated On: 10 May 2026 | 8:39 AM IST

Rajnath Singh asks armed forces to preserve 'element of surprise'

Defence Minister Rajnath Singh urged the armed forces to strengthen AI, cyber, and autonomous capabilities while maintaining strategic unpredictability

Updated On: 08 May 2026 | 6:59 PM IST

1 year of Operation Sindoor: 'Defining moment in India's strategic journey'

Military says Operation Sindoor reshaped India's strategic doctrine with calibrated yet lethal response against terror infrastructure

Updated On: 08 May 2026 | 10:23 AM IST

Operation Sindoor showcased growing jointness among our forces: PM

India has intensified diplomatic engagement after Operation Sindoor, focusing on counter-terrorism, trade partnerships and global support against Pakistan-sponsored terrorism

Updated On: 07 May 2026 | 9:28 PM IST

India has every right to defend itself against cross-border terrorism: MEA

India on Thursday reiterated its right to defend itself against Pakistan-backed cross-border terrorist activities and vowed to strengthen the global fight against terrorism. New Delhi's firm message came on the first anniversary of Operation Sindoor. "We are marking the first anniversary of Op Sindoor today. The entire world saw the Pahalgam terrorist attack for what it was. We gave a befitting reply to Pakistan for its sponsorship of cross-border terrorism," External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said. "The world knows that cross-border terrorism has long been an instrument of state policy for Pakistan. We in India have every right to defend ourselves against terrorism," he said at his weekly media briefing. Jaiswal said India will continue to work to strengthen the global fight against terrorism. In response to the Pahalgam terror attack, India launched Operation Sindoor on May 7 last year carrying out airstrikes on nine terror infrastructures in Pakistan and ...

Updated On: 07 May 2026 | 5:03 PM IST

We destroyed 13 Pakistani aircraft, struck 11 airfields: Air Marshal Bharti

Addressing questions on the cessation of hostilities, the Air Marshal said India's operations were aimed at terrorist infrastructure and were completed after achieving objectives

Updated On: 07 May 2026 | 2:32 PM IST

Operation Sindoor signalled no terror sanctuary is safe: Indian military

Operation Sindoor signalled that no terror sanctuary is safe in Pakistan and the mission was just the beginning, the Indian military said on Thursday as it commemorated the first anniversary of the multi-domain combat campaign. The heads of military operations of the Indian Air Force, Navy and the Indian Army addressed a press conference in Jaipur detailing various aspects of the operation that was billed as India's most expansive combat mission in half a century to punish Pakistan for its support to cross-border terrorism. "Operation Sindoor was not an end and it was just the beginning," Lt Gen Rajiv Ghai, who played a key role in executing the operation in his capacity as the Army's Director General of Military Operations (DGMO), said. Ghai said Operation Sindoor saw India very coherently go beyond its erstwhile methods to target terror infrastructure across the Line of Control and international boundary with Pakistan. It was a statement of resolve, responsibility and strategic .

Updated On: 07 May 2026 | 2:10 PM IST

Op Sindoor showed India's firm stand against terror: PM hails armed forces

Prime Minister Modi also changed his display picture on X to "Operation Sindoor" as a tribute to the courage and valour of the Indian armed forces on the anniversary of the military operation

Updated On: 07 May 2026 | 12:12 PM IST

Pak not isolated like after Mumbai attack: Cong on Op Sindoor anniversary

Taking a swipe at the government, the Congress on Thursday said that in spite of extensive diplomatic outreach by India following Operation Sindoor, Pakistan did not get isolated as it had been after the 2008 Mumbai terror attack, and has come in for praise from the US military establishment. On the first anniversary of Operation Sindoor, the opposition party recalled that the first announcement of the ceasefire that halted the operation unexpectedly was made at 5:37 PM IST on May 10, 2025 by US Secretary of State Marco Rubio. Congress general secretary in-charge communications Jairam Ramesh said, "As we celebrate the first anniversary of the launch of Operation Sindoor and salute the achievements of our armed forces, it would be useful to recall the following: The first announcement of the cease fire that halted Operation Sindoor unexpectedly was made at 5:37 PM IST on May 10 2025 by the US Secretary of State Marco Rubio who claimed that it was intervention by President Trump that

Updated On: 07 May 2026 | 10:40 AM IST

Operation Sindoor a benchmark for 'modern warfare': Rajnath Singh

The operation stands as a powerful symbol of national resolve and preparedness to deal with national security challenges, he said in a message

Updated On: 07 May 2026 | 10:18 AM IST

Game of chess, innings defeat: How military leaders described Op Sindoor

Over the year since the launch of Operation Sindoor in the early hours of May 7, military leaders have used several analogies to describe its intricacies -- from "game of chess" implying uncertainty over the enemy's next move to "innings defeat" highlighting the magnitude of India's victory. The military action was embedded with symbolism right from the start with its name, as well as the now widely recognised logo, conveying an unambiguous message. Operation Sindoor was launched to avenge the deadly Pahalgam terror attack, with Indian forces conducting precision strikes on multiple terror infrastructure in Pakistan and Pakistan-Occupied-Kashmir (PoK). After launching the operation, the Indian Army in a post on X at 1.51 am on May 7 had said, "#PahalgamTerrorAttack Justice is Served. Jai Hind!" It also carried a digital poster bearing a dark backdrop with the caption "OPERATION SINDOOR". One of the 'Os' in the word 'SINDOOR' was depicted using a bowl carrying 'sindoor' ...

Updated On: 07 May 2026 | 10:15 AM IST

One year of Op Sindoor: The operation that spawned a spending shield

Capex up, sharper focus on air defence and drones

Updated On: 06 May 2026 | 11:22 PM IST

One year of Op Sindoor: Defence stocks surge amid geopolitical tensions

Defence stocks rally on geopolitical tensions and policy push, but analysts caution that near-term upside may be priced in despite strong long-term prospects

Updated On: 06 May 2026 | 10:58 PM IST

Operation Sindoor redrew red lines, exposed key military lessons: Experts

Operation Sindoor has not only redrawn red lines when it comes to India's response to acts of terrorism, but also offered some key military lessons, including joint and cohesive use of air power, bolstering of drone technology and building a robust communication system, say experts. Recalling the decisive military action launched exactly a year ago on the intervening night of May 6-7, several defence and strategic affairs experts concurred that the military operation also emphasised that future conflicts would play out not only in airspace, but also in cyberspace and information and cognitive domains. And, indeed, the Indian military wasn't just battling against a barrage of hostile drones that came from across the western border, from Leh to Sir Creek, in multiple waves during the nearly four-day conflict, but also countering an intense misinformation campaign that sought to damage the morale of the forces and the masses. Air Commodore Gaurav M Tripathi (retired), who also played a

Updated On: 06 May 2026 | 10:55 AM IST