Explore Business Standard
A system that thousands of schools and universities use was offline on Thursday during a cyberattack, creating chaos as students tried to study for finals and underscoring education's dependence on technology. The hacking group named ShinyHunters claimed responsibility for the breach at Canvas, said Luke Connolly, a threat analyst at the cybersecurity firm Emisoft. Instructure, the company behind Canvas, didn't immediately respond to a request for comment or questions about whether the system was taken down as a precaution or because the hackers knocked it offline. Canvas is used to manage grades, course notes, assignments, lecture videos and more. The hacking group posted online that nearly 9,000 schools worldwide were affected, with billions of private messages and other records accessed, Connolly said. Students quickly took to social media to ask if others were unable to access Canvas, with many panicking that they could no longer view course materials housed within the platform
Foreign universities operating in India could serve more than 5.6 lakh students by 2040, generate USD 113 billion in forex savings and create 19 million sq ft of specialised demand for high-quality education-linked real estate, according to a new report. Titled 'Global universities eye India opportunity', the report examining global setup trends, policy provisions, real estate imperative, and strategic opportunities for foreign universities in India, has been published by Deloitte India and Knight Frank India. "By 2040, foreign universities operating in India could serve over 5,60,000 students, generate USD 113 billion in forex savings and create 19 million sq ft of specialised demand for high-quality education-linked real estate. The study also presents a first-of-its-kind city readiness framework evaluating the potential of 40 Indian cities," the report noted. "Delhi-NCR emerges as the most prepared market, followed by Bengaluru and Mumbai, each offering deep talent pools, ...
The Trump administration is planning to halt more than half a billion dollars in contracts and grants awarded to Brown University, adding to a list of Ivy League colleges that have had their federal money threatened as a result of their responses to antisemitism, a White House official said. Nearly USD 510 million in federal contracts and grants are on the line, said the official, who was not authorized to speak publicly about the plan and spoke on condition of anonymity. In an email Thursday to campus leaders, Brown Provost Frank Doyle said the university was aware of troubling rumours about government action on its research money. At this moment, we have no information to substantiate any of these rumours, Doyle said. It comes two days after President Donald Trump's administration halted research grants at Princeton University. Dozens of universities are facing federal investigations into antisemitism following a wave of pro-Palestinian protests last year, but the administration h