- Maulana Wahiduddin will be remembered for his knowledge on spirituality: PM
- Top headlines: Covishield at Rs 400; Covid shaves off a 5th of ONGC capex
- Covid-ravaged Indian cinema's plot falters, will take years to pick up
- Maharashtra govt sets up committee to probe Nashik oxygen tragedy
- Court verdict likely tomorrow on WhatsApp, Facebook pleas against CCI order
- Inquiry commission gives clean chit to UP Police in Dubey encounter case
- India is showing developing countries how to quickly transition to solar
- 3 ONGC employees kidnapped by suspected ULFA (I) militants in Assam
- Sikh community in the US traumatised by yet another mass shooting
- India elected by acclamation to 3 bodies of UN Economic and Social Council
LIVE: 'Gujarat is with BJP's agenda,' says Modi on winning local body polls
Stay tuned for Latest LIVE news
Prime Minister Narendra Modi
The BJP won all 31 district panchayats, 70 out of 81 municipalities and was far ahead of main rival Congress in 231 taluka panchayats as counting for the second phase of local body polls in Gujarat was underway on Tuesday. The success follows the BJP's clean sweep in elections for six municipal corporations in the first phase last month.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted saying, "Results of the Nagar Palika, Taluka Panchayat and District Panchayat polls across Gujarat give a crystal clear message- Gujarat is firmly with the BJP’s agenda of development and good governance. I bow to the people of Gujarat for the unwavering faith and affection towards BJP".
Senior Congress leader Priyanka Gandhi on Tuesday asserted that her party, if voted to power in Assam, will bring a new law to "nullify" the Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) in the state.
Meanwhile, India's trade deficit in goods widened to $12.88 billion in February from $10.16 billion during the same period a year earlier, preliminary data released by the government on Tuesday showed.
Earlier in the day, the Election Commission today issued the notification for the first phase of the elections in 47 Assembly constituencies of Assam, officials said. Elections for the 126-member Assam Assembly will be held in three phases as per Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora. The counting for all phases will take place on May 2.
Stay tuned for the latest news of the day.