Global human rights body Amnesty International's India head has said that the Unnao rape case in Uttar Pradesh paints a ''chilling picture''. She has also urged the Uttar Pradesh government to respond to the notices issued by the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) in this case and ensure that the perpetrators are brought to justice.
The NHRC had on Tuesday sent a notice to the Uttar Pradesh government and the state police chief seeking a detailed report on the custodial death of the 50-year-old man after his daughter had accused a BJP MLA and his aides of gangrape in Unnao, and asked the authorities to ensure "the aggrieved family is not subjected to further harassment".
Congress chief Rahul Gandhi took to Twitter and took a jibe at Prime Minister Narendra Modi, saying he hopes that the PM will observe a fast in light of lawlessness and lack of governance in Uttar Pradesh. Gandhi was referring to the Unnao rape incident which has rocked the north Indian state politically as BJP MLA named Kuldeep Singh Sengar is the accused.
"The barbarism inflicted on a father seeking justice for his daughter in Uttar Pradesh has shamed humanity. Hope the prime minister will soon observe a fast over atrocities against women, failed law and order and increasing anarchy under the BJP's watch, Gandhi said on Twitter.
Meanwhile, the politician's wife demanded a narco test on her husband and the survivor.
The 18-year-old woman, who had tried to kill herself outside the Chief Minister's house here, on the other hand also alleged that she had been confined to a hotel room by the district administration and her uncle was killed by the MLA's brother and henchmen, who later also killed her father.
She said, "I want justice, why are they pressuring me for an apology? Do they want my (another) uncle to be killed too?"
The Congress demanded the dismissal of Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, dubbing his government a "Ravan" regime which has failed to protect women after an 18-year-old alleged she was gang-raped and her father died in police custody in the state's Unnao district.
"Yogi Adityanath government is a government of Ravan, which has failed to protect women," Congress chief spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala said.
Here are the top ten developments in the Unnao rape case and the custodial death of the victim's father:
1. BJP MLA and UP cops family-ties come in the way of justice: The brother of Unnao gangrape victim's father told Indian Express, "a police officer told them that they share family relations with BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar and they cannot work under pressure from the administration and government so, we should go to court."
2. Yogi Adityanath directs home department to ensure SIT probe: Yogi Adityanath on Tuesday directed the Home Department to ensure that Special Investigation Team (SIT) visits Unnao district tomorrow and give its first report by evening in connection with the custodial death of rape victim's father.
3. Girl who alleged rape has to hide: Stopped by the police when they tried to immolate themselves last Sunday near the Chief Minister’s residence in Lucknow to protest police inaction. According to media reports, the family turned to Unnao District Magistrate Ravi Kumar NG for help. Reports said that he had arranged for their stay at a government guest house. However, the victim on Wednesday alleged, "the DM has confined me to a hotel room, they are not even serving me water. I just want the culprit to be punished." She appealed to chief minister Yogi Adityanath to provide her justice.
Sangeeta Sengar, wife of accused MLA Kuldeep Sengar, met DGP OP Singh in Lucknow, says, 'I have come to plead for justice for my husband.'
4. Congress women wing demands sacking of UP CM over Unnao gangrape: The women wing of the Congress urged Prime Minister Narendra Modi to sack Uttar Pradesh chief minister Yogi Adityanath, alleging dereliction of duty on his part over the gangrape of an 18-year-old woman and the death of her father in police custody in Unnao district. The All India Mahila Congress president, Sushmita Dev, also demanded that action is taken against all those responsible for the rape of the woman and the death her father in police custody.
Unnao Rape Case: Sangeeta Sengar, wife of accused MLA Kuldeep Sengar, met DGP OP Singh in Lucknow, says, 'I have come to plead for justice for my husband.' pic.twitter.com/wuvBQxGB41— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) April 11, 2018
5. Samajwadi party workers protest in front of Mahatma Gandhi statue in Hazratganj over the death of the father of Unnao gang-rape victim, demand arrest of BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar
Lucknow: Samajwadi party workers protest in front of Mahatma Gandhi statue in Hazratganj over death of father of Unnao gang-rape victim, demand arrest of BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar pic.twitter.com/2qpdhcoV4t— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) April 10, 2018
6. Who is BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar: He is a four-term MLA. He first won an assembly election from Unnao Sadar in 2002 as a BSP candidate. In 2007, he won on a SP ticket from Bangarmau. In 2012, he was declared victorious from Bhagwant Nagar, again on a SP ticket. In the 2017 election, he was again elected from Bangarmau, this time on a BJP ticket. On Monday, he refused to resign from his post following the allegations of rape against him. Speaking to the media, Sengar said, "If somebody's name crops up into some issue does not mean that he shall resign". He further went on to dismiss the entire incident by saying that the allegations are completely wrong.7) SIT to submit first report by today evening:Chief Minister Adityanath has directed the UP Home Department to ensure that the SIT visits Unnao on Wednesday and submits its first report by the evening, reported news agency ANI.
UP CM Yogi Adityanath has directed the Home Department to ensure that special investigation team (SIT) visits #Unnao tomorrow and submit its first report by evening.— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) April 10, 2018
8) All accused in death of Unnao rape case victim's father sent to jail: All five accused, including BJP MLA Sengar's brother, were sent to district jail in connection with the death of the Unnao rape victim's father, news agency ANI reported on Tuesday. The police will file a remand application tomorrow, the report said. Earlier, the five accused were produced before a court in Unnao.
Unnao gang-rape victim's father death case: All five accused including BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar's brother sent to Unnao district jail. Police to file remand application tomorrow.— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) April 10, 2018
9) Unnao rape case victim's father dies in police custody: A day after the victim tried to set herself on fire outside Chief Minister Adityanath's residence, alleging police inaction in her gang rape by BJP MLA Sengar, her father died in police custody on Monday. Surendra Singh, whose daughter accused the BJP legislator from Unnao of raping her, was picked up by police late on Sunday and was apparently beaten mercilessly by four aides of the legislator as well as police personnel. An official said the man had serious injuries on his body and was not taken to a hospital until late at night. A doctor at the district hospital, where he was eventually taken, told the media that he was brought with serious abdominal pain and vomiting. Unnao Superintendent of Police Pushpanjali Devi said the four aides who took part in the beating have been arrested. However, ADG Kumar said that the victim's father did not die in police custody. "Whatever incident of beating up the deceased took place, it occurred in the village.
Adityanath termed the incident unfortunate and announced that a top-ranking police official will probe the matter. Those behind the incident will not be spared at any cost, he added.
10) NHRC issues notice to Adityanath government over Unnao rape case: Taking cognisance of the Unnao rape case, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has issued a notice to the Uttar Pradesh government over the death of the rape victim's father in judicial custody in Unnao and related allegations, news agency ANI reported.
National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) issues notice to Government of Uttar Pradesh over the death of a person in judicial custody in Unnao and related allegations. The man is father of the rape victim who attempted suicide with her family outside CM's residence.— ANI UP (@ANINewsUP) April 10, 2018