The economic travails this year will be challenging, and from the economist’s perspective, economic growth and fiscal deficit are the two main challenges. The government had embarked on a very ambitious disinvestment programme for the year of Rs 2.1 trillion. It sounded optimistic as we have never delivered such an amount before. The highest was Rs 1 trillion in FY18. The present programme includes the sale of Air India, Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) and Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL), which made this very aggressive target look possible.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.
Subscribe to Business Standard Premium
Exclusive Stories, Curated Newsletters, 26 years of Archives, E-paper, and more!
Insightful news, sharp views, newsletters, e-paper, and more! Unlock incisive commentary only on Business Standard.
Download the Business Standard App for latest Business News and Market News .
First Published: Thu, April 09 2020. 08:36 IST
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU