Students were among the worst-hit victims amid coronavirus-induced lockdown, as the pandemic pushed back the progress in the education system by years. While it was largely expected that the allocation to school education would be higher than last year, Budget 2021-21 has slashed the allocation for the education sector by 6.13 per cent to Rs 93,224.31 crore from Rs 99,311.52 crore in FY20. Of this, the department of higher education has been allocated Rs 38,350.65 crore while the school education and literacy department has been given Rs 54,873 crore (the lowest in two years).
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE NOW NOW AT JUST RS 249 A MONTH.
Already a premium subscriber? LOGIN NOW
SUBSCRIBE TO INSIGHTS
What you get on Business Standard Premium?
- Unlock 30+ premium stories daily hand-picked by our editors, across devices on browser and app.
- Full access to our intuitive epaper - clip, save, share articles from any device; newspaper archives from 2006.
- Curated newsletters on markets, personal finance, policy & politics, start-ups, technology, and more.
- Pick your 5 favourite companies, get a daily email with all news updates on them.
- 26 years of website archives.
- Preferential invites to Business Standard events.