- BSE, NSE suspend trading of DHFL shares from June 14: Know why
- Franklin case: Meet Vivek & Roopa Kudva, the couple in Sebi's firing line
- Palm oil prices fall most in nearly a month due to technical selling
- Sensex, Nifty post fourth straight weekly rise; Dr Reddy's rises over 3%
- Latest meme stock: Danish biotechnology company jumps almost 1,400%
- Coal India hits 52-week high, regains Rs 1 trillion market capitalisation
- PSU m-cap up 77% in 7 months as investors move towards value stocks
- Oil prices rise to fresh multi-year highs on fuel demand recovery
- Decoding equity flows: Retail investors offset FPI selling in April, May
- Recovery hopes drive gains for pure-play CV maker Ashok Leyland
MARKET WRAP: Benchmarks cautious on first day of CY20; Sensex up 52 pts
All that happened in the markets today
After a massive sell-off on Tuesday, Indian equities logged mild gains on Wednesday as trading sentiment remained subdued. The S&P BSE Sensex ended 52.28 points, or 0.13 per cent, higher at 41,306.02 level, while the broader Nifty50, on the NSE, ended at 12,189.70-mark, up 21.25 points or 0.17 per cent.
Among top performers, Power Grid, NTPC, Larsen and Toubro, and M&M gained up to 3 per cent on the Sensex, while Titan, IndusInd Bank, Bajaj Auto, and Tata Steel closed the day as top laggards.
As for key sectoral indices, Nifty IT index advanced the most at close (up nearly 0.5 per cent), while Nifty Auto and private bank indices slipped 0.45 and 0.24 per cent, respectively.
The broader market, however, outperformed the frontline indices today. The S&P BSE small-cap index added 0.64 per cent to close at 13,786.69 level, while the S&P BSE mid-cap index edged 0.21 per cent higher to 14,998.63.