You are here: Home » Sports » IPL 2020 » News
Business Standard

No IPL matches in Delhi in wake of coronavirus until next order: Sisodia

Earlier in the day, the sources within the BCCI said that the board has invited all eight franchises for the IPL's governing council meeting on March 14

Topics
Coronavirus | IPL 2020 | Delhi government

ANI 

Manish Sisodia
Manish Sisodia said "Coronavirus is spreading, we have decided to maintain social distance, IPL is a big event, many people come from various corners, I would also like to appeal to the people"

All sporting activities, including the Indian Premier League (IPL), attracting a large crowd turnout have been banned amidst the outbreak, announced on Friday.

"Sports activities, seminars, conferences, we have decided to shut them. No sports event including IPL would be allowed in Delhi until the next order. is spreading, we have decided to maintain social distance, IPL is a big event, many people come from various corners, I would also like to appeal to the people," Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi, Manish Sisodia, told reporters here.

"If decides to play the tournament in a different format it is up to them. Our intent is just to control the gathering. We will implement this for at least a month, he added.

Earlier in the day, the sources within the said that the board has invited all eight franchises for the IPL's governing council meeting on March 14.

Amidst fears, the cricketing board has mainly two options-- either postpone IPL or play it behind closed doors.

The Central government has suspended all visas to India till April 15 as part of measures to contain the spread of the pandemic which has put IPL's scheduling in doubt.

The Sports Ministry has also asked all National Sports Federations (NSFs), including the to follow the Health Ministry's guidelines.

As per the guidelines issued, it has been asked to avoid large public gatherings.

Due to the visa regulation, sources within the IPL's governing council said that the foreign players would not be available for the tournament.

"Yes, foreign players will not be available. We will discuss this and other issues at our governing council meeting scheduled for March 14," a source in IPL governing council had told ANI.

The 13th edition of IPL is scheduled to commence from March 29, with Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings meeting at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai for the first match.

World Health Organisation (WHO) on Wednesday had declared the coronavirus outbreak a 'pandemic' and expressed deep concern.

The coronavirus disease was first detected in Wuhan in China's Hubei province, in late December, and has since spread worldwide.

More than 127,000 people have been infected with COVID-19, with over 4,700 having died and 68,000 recovered.

First Published: Fri, March 13 2020. 12:41 IST