Rubbishing reports that the authorities have banned publication of newspapers for three days in Kashmir, Information and Broadcasting Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu today said that Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has assured him that no such decision has been made.
Naidu told the media, "Yesterday I spoke to Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti and inquired about the reports that newspapers are not being published in Kashmir to that she replied and assure me that no such decision has been taken nor anything of this sort will happen in the future."
According to reports, the authorities last week banned newspaper publication in Kashmir for three days after the police raided media houses and shut down a major printing press.
According to reports, Mobile and internet services were also blocked in the valley. Cable TV was also blocked, but was restored on Saturday evening.
Meanwhile, the curfew imposed in the valley in wake of the protest over the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Muzaffar Wani continued for the eleventh consecutive day today.
Two civilians were killed in retaliatory firing last evening after locals clashed with armed forced in Qazigund area of South Kashmir.
With this, the death toll of civilians has reached around 40.