The construction of a water storage dam in Himachal Pradesh that will provide water to the national capital and five other states will commence by the year end, Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur said on Wednesday.
The Renukaji dam multipurpose project will cost around Rs 7,000 crore.
Replying to a question in the Assembly, he said the state would take care of the project-affected people.
Officials told IANS that a large number of people in the state would be affected by the construction of the dam.
Currently, the land acquisition process is on and the state has challenged the enhanced land compensation awarded by a lower court in the state High Court. The matter is still pending.
Gathered under the banner of the Renuka Bandh Jan Sangharsh Samiti, the project-affected villagers told IANS that the government had not taken them into confidence before starting the land acquisition process.
They are claiming that more than 700 families from 37 villages will be affected.
"Now on the directive of the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, another estimation is being done and it is estimated to cost around Rs 7,000 crore. This estimation is under the perusal of the Central Water Commission," he said.
After the cost estimation is over, the project will be sent to the technical advisory committee for approval.
The Centre will provide 90 per cent cost of the irrigation and drinking water component of the project and the rest 10 per cent will be borne by the six states.
The project had hit roadblocks repeatedly since an agreement was signed on May 12, 1994.
(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)