Tata's full-service airline joint venture with Singapore Airlines will commence operations in October under the brand 'Vistara', which means limitless expanse in Indian's ancient Sanskrit language.
Announcing the airline name with an eight-pointed star as its logo here Monday, Tata-SIA Airlines Ltd (TSAL) said it would render the highest standards of service to passengers.
"We will start operations in October after receiving the first plane, an Airbus A320-200, in September and increase the fleet to 20 aircraft by fifth year (2018)," TSAL chairman Prasad Menon said on the occasion.
Asserting that the new airline would redefine air travel in India, Menon said the legendary hospitality of both the partners would make its service a natural choice for passengers.
"We aim to deliver a seamless experience via personalisation of services for guests who travel with us. Our core belief is to be thoughtful about our guests' needs and make a difference in their air travel experience," TSAL chief executive Phee Teik Yeoh told reporters.
Noting that the Indian aviation sector had a lot of potential for growth, TSAL director Swee Wah Mak said Singapore Airlines would contribute to create a fine flying experience in the Indian skies through Vistara.
Tata Sons holds majority stake (51 percent) in the joint venture, with Singapore Airlines the remaining 49 percent.